Is there really anything better than good one-pot ground beef and rice recipes full of Mexican flavors? They are protein-filled everyday meals that only require basic ingredients you probably already have in your fridge and kitchen cabinets.
What's even better, for this recipe, all you need is to add all of the ingredients to the skillet, let it simmer for 20-30 min, and you're done! And if that weren't easy enough, you will only be left with one pan to wash.
You can eat Mexican rice casserole on its own, mix it with salad greens, or top it with tortilla chips. Divide leftovers and store them in lunch boxes, and your spouse or kids can heat them the next day in the microwave or a cast iron skillet.
This quick and easy recipe will have you learning how to make One-pot Mexican Casserole in no time at all!
Mexican Skillet Dinner recipe
- 1 tbs of olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 1 lb of lean ground beef
- 1 cup of uncooked long-grain white rice
- 1 (15 oz) can of diced tomatoes
- 1 (14.5 oz) can of black beans
- 1 cup of chicken or beef broth
- 1 cup of cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 2 tsp of chili powder
- 1 tsp of garlic powder
- 1 tsp of salt
- Sour cream or Greek yogurt (optional)
- Black olives (optional)
- Heat a spoon of olive oil in a large deep skillet over medium heat. Cook the onion for a minute or until it's translucent.
- Add ground beef, chili and garlic powders, and salt. Cook the meat, stirring and breaking it continuously, for approximately 6-8 min or until it turns brown.
- Add rice, diced tomatoes, black beans, and broth to the skillet. Stir everything. Then turn up the heat to the maximum setting and bring it to boil. Then reduce the heat, and cover it with a lid. (If your skillet doesn't have a lid, use foil.) Let your beef and rice casserole simmer for approximately 20 min or until the broth is absorbed and the rice is cooked.
- Once cooked, stir everything once more and sprinkle with cheddar cheese.
- Leave the lid on for a few more minutes so that the cheese melts. Then take the pan off the stove.
- Garnish with fresh chopped tomato and green onion. If you prefer, serve with sour cream or Greek yogurt and black olives. Enjoy!
If you enjoyed this recipe, check out more cast iron skillet recipes, such as skillet chili or sausage skillet!
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.