Dutch Oven Breakfast: 10 Delicious Ideas for Your Next Camping Trip
It’s been used at family dinners to make mouth-watering casserole meals and for sumptuous stews on chilly Sunday afternoons. But that's not all; your trusty Dutch oven is good for so much more! It can also be the ideal tool to make a delectable Dutch oven breakfast while sitting around the campfire.
Staples such as eggs and bacon are simple to whip up. Dutch ovens make light work of scrumptious casseroles, and you can even bake bread in this versatile pot! The humble Dutch oven certainly makes outdoor breakfasts easy.
Designed for Outdoor Cooking
When cooking over an open fire in a Dutch oven, it's important that your pot won't get damaged by the heat and that you won't struggle to get it clean instead of having fun out and about.
A high-quality camping Dutch Oven is perfect for making breakfasts outdoors.
Dinner, lunch, or breakfast - Dutch oven cooking works for it all. It will handle the high heat like a pro, and the non-stick surface makes light work for cleaning up.
Look for one that's already pre-seasoned. This means you can use it immediately with no need to season it yourself.
Cleaning a Dutch oven is a breeze. Using a chainmail scrubber is preferred. This cleaning method brings a well-used or well-worn Dutch oven back to life in only a few minutes.
Tips for a Great Outdoor Dutch Oven Breakfast Experience
Before you begin to rustle up a range of delectable breakfasts over the fire, get familiar with these basic tips:
Oven mitts are crucial. A Dutch oven can get extremely hot over an open flame! The last thing you want is to spend the rest of your camping trip tending to blistered fingers. So, make sure you use your mitts!
Coals are the best heat to use with your Dutch oven. Start your fire early so that it eventually burns down to hot coals. Shovel your coals around and on top of the pot. This will ensure the heat hits it from all sides.
- Place the Dutch oven directly on the coals. It is best to place your Dutch oven directly on the coals, but make sure you keep an eye on the heat. You want the perfect temperature for cooking.
Now that we’ve looked at some easy tips to use your trusty Dutch oven let's jump into some scrummy Dutch oven camping recipes.
Dutch Oven Camping Recipes: Breakfast Edition
#1 Dutch Oven Jambalaya
Are you heading to the campsite in the fall? There is one recipe that stands out above them all.
Rice and peppers, tomatoes and sausage with that heat of a Cajun flare are the perfect combinations for a heart-warming outdoor breakfast idea to come out of your Dutch Oven.
- Simply fry up your onions, bell peppers, and around ½ lb of smoked sausage,
- Add a cup of uncooked rice, a tin of tomatoes, 2 cans of stock, and some Cajun seasoning.
- Simmer for 20 minutes and add ½ lb shrimp.
#2 Egg and Sausage Dutch Oven Breakfast Casserole
This hearty Dutch oven breakfast is simple to make and is packed with protein.
- Combine eggs, sausage, and veggies in your oven to create a casserole sure to make your campsite crowd content.
- Depending on your Dutch oven's size, you can modify the quantities to feed just a few people or a larger group of happy campers.
#3 Cheesy Dutch Oven Bacon and Egg Breakfast
This is a Dutch oven breakfast that involves combining all the greatest breakfast foods in one dish.
Eggs, bacon, and hash brown potatoes, along with fried mushrooms topped with gooey melted cheddar cheese... What a way to start your day!
#4 Dutch Oven Breakfast Bread
A store-bought loaf is fine. But to show off your abilities to make mouth-watering meals in the great outdoors, nothing compares to a homemade version.
Dutch oven breakfast ideas don't have to be just about eggs and bacon; you can use this recipe to make a tasty loaf in your Dutch oven.
#5 Pork Chops and Potatoes Breakfast Casserole
- Layer potatoes on top of tender and juicy pork chops and drench it all in a premade gravy.
- Simmer this delectable mix over a campfire for around 40 minutes, and it will tantalize even the hardest-to-please taste buds.
One bite from this dish, and you'll have neighboring campers stopping by with plates in hand. So make some extra of this hearty Dutch Oven camping breakfast.
#6 Dutch Oven Jalapeno Cheddar Bread
With this recipe, the heat from the jalapenos, and the sharp and tangy punch from the cheese will fire up your tastebuds.
Baking bread in a Dutch oven does require a bit more time than a stew or casserole, but the extra time taken will be worth it.
#7 Dutch Oven Berry Cobbler
A Dutch oven berry cobbler sounds as though you’ll have to sweat over a hot campfire all day long.
With ingredients like ready-made biscuit dough, it's an easy, layered delight that will satisfy any sweet tooth at your campsite's breakfast table.
- Simply mix up around 3lb of berries with ½ cup of sugar,½ cup of flour, and 2 tbs each of lemon zest and juice.
- Top with blobs of buttermilk biscuit dough and bake for around 30 minutes in a preheated Dutch oven.
#8 The Ultimate Dutch Oven Cowboy Breakfast
Although you may be rustling up grub for campers instead of cowboys, this Western-inspired casserole contains all the fixings of a breakfast fit for a day on the trails.
- Fry up some sausage and bacon pieces with diced potatoes.
- Top this with fried eggs, and you'll make your hungry campers say "yee-haw!".
#9 Mountain Man Breakfast
A humongous breakfast to start the day, a mountain man breakfast consists of a Dutch oven packed full of eggs, sausages, bacon, hash browns, and cheese. Place all the breakfast items into the Dutch oven and leave it to bake in the fire.
#10 Dutch Oven Tacos
Who doesn't like tacos? Rethink this favorite South of the border treat as being only for lunch or dinner, and imagine enjoying them around a roaring campfire first thing in the morning.
A favorite with kids, this meal is another that’s easy to prepare; easy to cook. Everyone will love making them as much as they’ll love eating them!
- Prepare your favorite taco bean or ground beef filling in the Dutch oven.
- Let the kids assemble it with lettuce, grated cheese, and even a few pickled jalapenos for some kick!
Breakfast: Getting the Day off to the Perfect Start
Versatile and resistant to high heat, the cast-iron Dutch oven is a versatile kitchen tool no camper should be without.
Early mornings in the great outdoors are even better with a variety of breakfast options.
Keep the sticks for roasting marshmallows and hot dogs, but use the Dutch Oven for just about every other meal idea, especially breakfasts.
Versatile, easy to clean and store, your Dutch oven will become your go-to for cooking many memorable outdoor breakfasts.
Enjoyed this article? Check out our easy camping meals for family ideas!
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.