Breakfast tacos are a perfect fusion food. It is all the convenience of a taco with the delicious ingredients we all love for breakfast. This breakfast taco recipe combines fluffy scrambled eggs, crispy (or chewy) bacon, and golden fried potatoes with a few added Tex-Mex flavors, all wrapped in soft flour tortillas.
While you can use store-bought flour tortillas for our breakfast tacos recipe, but it's not nearly as delicious as making your own. Nothing compares to a taco made with a hot, fresh tortilla straight out of the pan. All you need is a tortilla press, a flat skillet pan, and a taco holder. It's worth the extra effort, we promise!
Follow the steps below to create perfect breakfast tacos every time.
Irresistible Breakfast Tacos
Breakfast / Tacos
- 6 eggs
- 6 slices of bacon
- 6 flour tortillas (make your own if you can)
- 3 tbsp of olive oil
- 2 tbsp of milk
- 1 lb potatoes, diced
- ½ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Shredded cheese, either sharp cheddar or Monterey Jack
- Finely sliced or cubed tomatoes
- Finely chopped cilantro
- Salsa or pico de gallo
Toppings for the breakfast tacos
- Prepare the flat skillet pan. If you don't have one, prepare the ingredients in two separate pans and combine them later.
- Place the skillet over medium heat and add the olive oil.
- Fry the cubed potatoes for 8 min and season with salt and paprika, stirring well to ensure all of the potato pieces are evenly covered. Turn the potatoes over a few times to ensure even cooking and crispiness.
- Once the potatoes are crisp on the outside and soft and fluffy in the middle, remove and set aside.
- Add the bacon to the skillet and cook for 6 min or until you're happy with the texture (some people like it chewy, others want it crispy).
- Remove the bacon and lay it out on a plate covered with kitchen paper to absorb some of the excess fat.
- Cut the bacon into quarters or thirds; this way, they will be easier to mix into the filling later on.
- Break the eggs into a medium-sized mixing bowl and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Beat the eggs until the mixture is light and frothy. The more air you add into the mix, the fluffier your eggs will be. This is especially important when making breakfast tacos; you want that light and fluffy texture to contrast with the salty bacon and hearty potato.
- Fry the eggs in the skillet and use a spatula or wooden spoon to scramble them as they cook.
- Once the eggs are perfectly cooked, take them out of the pan.
- Lay out your tortillas and top with potatoes, bacon, and scrambled eggs before adding the toppings of your choice.
Breakfast Tacos FAQ
Can classic breakfast tacos be vegetarian or vegan?
Of course. To have vegetarian or vegan breakfast tacos, switch out the bacon for your favorite meat-free alternative. You can also leave this step out altogether to create a simple potato-and-egg taco. Remember to use vegetarian or vegan cheese as appropriate.
What other kind of breakfast tacos are there?
Aside from bacon, potato, and egg breakfast tacos, another popular combination is sausage, potato, and egg tacos. Just swap the bacon in the recipe above with breakfast sausage or fried sausage meat.
You can also combine both sausage and bacon for an extra meaty breakfast taco; just remember to drain before adding to the taco shells to avoid your breakfast tacos becoming too greasy.
If you want your breakfast tacos to have more of a Mexican influence, you can add refried beans instead of potatoes and use chopped spicy chorizo sausage in place of the bacon. If you're brave enough to eat chili first thing in the morning, add a chopped jalapeno to the skillet to turn up the heat!
When can you eat breakfast tacos?
Anytime! You can eat breakfast tacos any time you want. Tacos are delicious any time of the day - brunch, lunch, dinner, or just as a snack.
If you loved this recipe, you should try out this recipe for quick and easy tuna tacos. Enjoy!
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.