Green bean casserole with cheese is great comfort food, which can be eaten on its own or served as a side dish with mashed potatoes and turkey. It's very versatile too. You can swap bacon for chicken, or opt for a vegetarian option and not use meat at all. You can also make it beforehand and easily freeze any leftovers. Follow this recipe and learn to make green bean casserole from scratch.
Follow along with this quick and easy recipe to learn how to make Green Bean Casserole!
Cheesy Green Bean Casserole Recipe
- 900g fresh green beans with the ends cut off
- 4 bacon rashes, cut into 1cm pieces
- 1 red pepper, diced
- ½ large onion, chopped
- 1 cup Cheddar, grated
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2½ cups whole milk
- ½ cup half-and-half
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tbsp butter
- 4 tbsp plain flour
- A pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly spray your casserole dish with olive oil and set it aside.
- Prepare the beans. Cut the ends off and then cut the beans in half. We'll need to blanch them to speed up the cooking process. So drop them in boiling water for 3-4 min. Then take them out and immediately put them in ice-cold water to stop the cooking process. It will keep them tender but crispy. Let them cool and then drain them in a colander. You can put the green beans in the casserole dish.
- Heat the skillet over medium heat. Add bacon and fry it for a few minutes, then add red pepper, onion, and garlic. Cook for a few more minutes until the bacon is done and onion is golden brown. If you don't eat red meat, swap bacon for chicken, and you'll have an equally tasty chicken and green bean casserole.
- In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add flour and whisk it immediately to avoid any clumping. Cook for a couple of minutes and then stir in milk and half-and-half. Cook it for a few extra minutes while whisking continuously until the sauce thickens. Add salt, pepper, and cayenne. Mix the spices in. Stir in the cheese and cook until it melts. Take the saucepan off the stove.
- Add bacon and onion mixture into the sauce. Mix it and pour it over green beans. Sprinkle with panko breadcrumbs.
- Bake it in the oven for approximately 30min or until golden brown.
- Serve green bean casserole with mashed sweet potatoes, cauliflower "mashed potatoes," Thanksgiving turkey and homemade cranberry sauce. Enjoy!
Green Bean Casserole FAQs
Can I make green bean casserole the night before?
Absolutely, you can make green bean casserole ahead of time. Follow all the steps below up to baking. Then cover your cast iron casserole dish with a plastic wrap and store it in the fridge for up to 3 days. Once you are ready to bake it, simply cook it in a preheated oven for approximately 30min.
How long can you eat green bean casserole?
You can keep baked casserole in the fridge for 3 to 5 days. Alternatively, you can leave it in the freezer for up to 6 months. How? Once your casserole is done, let it come down to room temperature. Cover it tightly with a plastic wrap, then foil, and put it in the freezer. When you are ready to eat it, thaw it in the fridge overnight. Then reheat it in the oven.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.