Keto spaghetti sauce is a low-carb pasta sauce guaranteed to get your taste buds tingling! This simple keto pasta sauce recipe is simply perfect for pouring over spaghetti (although make sure they are low carb, keto noodles too!). All you need for this low-carb spaghetti sauce recipe is tomatoes, a little olive oil, and Italian-inspired herbs.
Keep reading to discover the saucy goodness of our keto spaghetti sauce recipes!
4 10 minutes 15 minutes 28 oz of diced tomatoes* 2 Tbsp of olive oil 4 cloves of garlic, minced 1 Tbsp of tomato paste 1 tsp of dried oregano ½ tsp of red pepper flakes ¼ c of fresh basil, chopped Salt and pepper to taste Start preparing keto-friendly spaghetti sauce by heating a drizzle of oil on medium heat in a large saucepan. When the oil is hot, add your minced garlic and tomato paste, and allow them to cook together for 2 mins. Add your diced tomatoes to the saucepan. Stir well. Add in the dry herbs and seasonings with salt and pepper to taste. Mix well. Allow the keto-friendly pasta sauce to cook while continuously stirring, then sprinkle over with freshly chopped basil. Turn the heat down and allow your keto marinara to simmer for at least 30 mins before serving! *Use canned diced tomatoes, or make this recipe extra delicious and dice up fresh tomatoes.
Keto Spaghetti Sauce
28 oz of diced tomatoes*
2 Tbsp of olive oil
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 Tbsp of tomato paste
1 tsp of dried oregano
½ tsp of red pepper flakes
¼ c of fresh basil, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
Start preparing keto-friendly spaghetti sauce by heating a drizzle of oil on medium heat in a large saucepan.
When the oil is hot, add your minced garlic and tomato paste, and allow them to cook together for 2 mins.
Add your diced tomatoes to the saucepan. Stir well.
Add in the dry herbs and seasonings with salt and pepper to taste. Mix well.
Allow the keto-friendly pasta sauce to cook while continuously stirring, then sprinkle over with freshly chopped basil.
Turn the heat down and allow your keto marinara to simmer for at least 30 mins before serving!
*Use canned diced tomatoes, or make this recipe extra delicious and dice up fresh tomatoes.
Keto spaghetti sauce FAQ and tips
That’s it for our keto spaghetti sauce. It’s a simple sauce that you can prepare in just 30 minutes. We’ve put together this quick FAQ to help answer the most commonly asked questions we receive about sugar-free pasta sauce.
What is keto spaghetti sauce?
Keto spaghetti sauce is a low-carb, no-sugar spaghetti sauce made with Italian herbs and seasoning. This low carb sauce is keto-friendly and is a healthy substitute for standard store-bought pasta sauces.
Keto diets are low carb (but high in fat), with the primary goal of inducing your body to burn through its fat reserves rather than taking on carbohydrates and added sugars as a source of energy.
But are tomatoes keto-friendly? Yes, tomatoes are keto-friendly, as they contain only a few grams of carbohydrates and are drastically lower in sugars than most other fruits.
Store-bought spaghetti sauce is usually relatively high in added sugar. This means that it’s not often going to be keto-friendly, and you’ll find there are a ton of carbs in spaghetti sauce you buy at the store!
Of course, if you’re on a keto diet, you most likely won’t be eating traditional pasta noodles with your no-sugar-added spaghetti sauce either. Don’t worry, because there are plenty of delicious low carb alternatives, many of which you can make at home with a spiralizer or a pasta maker. Check out our homemade pasta recipe and try it with almond or coconut flour for a keto alternative, or go straight to keto pasta recipe.
Is spaghetti sauce keto?
Our spaghetti sauce recipe is definitely keto-friendly, as there is no added sugar, and tomatoes are naturally low in carbs.
However, if you’re buying spaghetti sauce from the store, there’s likely a lot of added sugar in there, making it not so keto-friendly.
It’s not impossible to find low carb spaghetti sauce in the store, but it’s much easier to prepare it at home!
What can I serve with keto spaghetti sauce?
Keto spaghetti sauce goes exceptionally well with low carb pasta substitutes for a delicious keto-friendly spaghetti dinner.
Regular pasta isn’t keto, as, of course, pasta is loaded with carbs. There are, however, lots of tasty low carb alternatives.
The easiest low carb pasta-substitutes that you can prepare at home are spiralized vegetables. You can use a sharp knife to spiralize or a spiralizing machine. ‘Zoodles,’ or zucchini noodles, are one of our favorites, but you can try carrots, squash, and many other low carb vegetables too.
Here are a few different serving suggestions:
- Prepare an aubergine lasagna (essentially a moussaka.) You replace the lasagna sheets with sliced aubergine and use your keto-friendly sauce as the base. Prepare a low carb bechamel sauce and layer up the dish with mozzarella.
- Prepare shirataki noodles. Shirataki noodles are one of the best low carb noodle alternatives, and you can find them in many stores across the country these days.
- Zoodle bolognese. Serve the sauce with ground beef on top of a bed of low carb zoodles!
- Low carb tacos and burritos. Get ahold of low carb tortillas or simply make lettuce wraps for a low carb burrito sauce!
What can I do with leftover keto spaghetti sauce?
Any leftover keto spaghetti sauce will keep for a few days in the refrigerator; just make sure you transfer it to a resealable container. It’s easy to reheat the sauce later; all you need to do is pour the sauce back into a saucepan and slowly heat it on the stovetop. Add a few fresh herbs if you want to top up the flavors again.
Freeze your sauce for later too. Transfer your keto tomato sauce leftovers to a resealable bag or plastic container, then place them into the freezer. Defrost the sauce naturally on the side or put it in the microwave on low power to defrost. Simmer on the stovetop to reheat through to the center.
Keto diet spaghetti sauce recipe variations
Our sugar-free spaghetti sauce is easy to prepare and requires just a few ingredients. However, there are a ton of delicious ways to spice it up or bulk it out. Here are a few of our favorite low sugar pasta sauce variations:
- Instead of using dried herbs, make this recipe extra fresh by chopping up all the herbs and spices for the sauce yourself.
- Make this a meaty, low carb ragu or bolognese sauce by including ground beef or Italian sausage in the recipe. Simply brown your beef with a few diced onions in a skillet before adding it to the tomatoes and herbs and leaving to simmer.
- Try other types of ground meat, other than beef or Italian sausage. Ground pork or turkey are good choices, but you can try chorizo, veal, chicken, or any of your other favorite meaty ingredients.
- Vegetarians or vegans can add vegetables to the sauce instead of meat. You can try mushrooms, zucchini, bell peppers, carrots, and many more. Simply cook the veggies first, then add to the tomatoes and leave to simmer in the herby sauce.
- Create a spicy low sugar spaghetti sauce by adding in extra red pepper flakes, chopping a few fresh chilis, or adding some chili powder and cayenne to the mix.
- If you prefer a thicker sauce, then add a few extra tomatoes and leave it to simmer for longer on the stovetop. Alternatively, if you think the sauce is too thick, then add some water to the pan when you’re cooking!
Will you be making keto spaghetti sauce?
Homemade keto spaghetti sauce is a fantastic, low calorie, low sugar, and low carb sauce perfect for a healthy, keto-friendly diet. In fact, this recipe is bursting with flavor and packed full of the good stuff, so it’s an excellent option for anyone!
Spice it up or thicken it up with just a few tweaks to the original recipe. This recipe is so versatile and that is exactly why we love it! Our recipe is super easy to prepare, and you can use the sauce in many of your favorite Italian-inspired dishes.
Why not bookmark our keto spaghetti sauce for your next low carb dinner?
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.